The Sports Trader: The money is in the moat

So, I am not a huge fan of listening to inspirational gurus. Most investment gurus kinda bother me, too. For a long time a good friend if mine told me I needed to listen to Gary V (Vaynerchuk).

V went from a wine salesman to a marketing expert in the course of a few years because he got lucky/made a smart move and moved into new media with his parents wine business before anyone else even thought of it.  

Through e-commerce and pricing strategies, Vaynerchuk grew the business from $3 million a year to $60 million a year by 2003, but eventually had to reinvent himself because the market was wide open to competition. I met Gary a few times through mutual friends. Seems like a nice guy, but doesn’t drill deep enough into any topic long enough to really impress me and doesn’t make eye contact, which bothers the heck out of me. But this isn’t about Gary, it’s about the lesson in the wine story.

The lesson is one that can be tied back to a famous quote from Warren Buffet, and it’s one of my favorites; “What we’re trying to do is we’re trying to find a business with a wide and long-lasting moat around it, surround — protecting a terrific economic castle with an honest lord in charge of the castle.” 

Buffet was basically explaining that when looking for new investments you need to search out businesses that have figured out a way to cut off their competition.  Buffet, for example, invests in Gieco because he understands that for a new player to enter into the insurance business they would need to be funded with billions in capital.  The moat for the issuance business is simply the capital needed to start the endeavor.  

The reason I love Sports Trading is the actually the same thing. My team and myself have battle tested theory after theory and pattern after pattern. The amount of time and money I have invested into what we do can be duplicated, but I am light years ahead of everyone else in the experience it takes to make this work.

Our moat is multiple layers deep (time, money and experience) and getting deeper the longer we are in the game ahead of everyone else. Add in the fact that no one is thinking like we are, leveraging everyone misunderstanding that this is a gambling market and successfully dominating it as an investment market.

The proof is in the pudding. You see it when I can sit down over the course of a day and use the same principles I developed with ScoreMetrics and nail 4 out of 4 trades during the NFL draft and bring home an almost 70% ROI on an investment in 3 hours.

The investment guru guys aren’t matching those ROI’s, and the sports guys like Mel Kiper and his clones aren’t even in my league.

A few years ago I sold my businesses and dedicated myself to doing this full time. The life I lead now is 100% what a guy my age wants, and I got it all just from trading sports. I can’t wait for these seasons to kick off so I can dig in and start really teaching you guys how this works.

Until then, we will continue to send out educational content about trends and patterns that we find in the sports investing world, along with quick lessons that you can use to help you with your investment strategies.  

If you are looking to get ahead of everyone else and start learning about Sports Trading now, take a look at my book “Zero Correlation Investing – The ScoreMetrics Secret”.  

For now, stay well, take care of the people you love and remember; You can’t be a 1%er if you think like the other 99%,

Hot Off The Press!

zero